Saturday 6 January 2018

Three Billy Goats Gruff by Susan Price

Three Billy Goats Gruff - Picture Book
Three Billy Goats Gruff - Colouring Book

Age range: 5 - 6 years

As a writer of picture books I spend a lot of time reading picture books and analysing why they work and how I can use this in my own work. So when I discovered this retelling of my favourite story, I knew I had to read it.

The illustrations are big and bold with sharp, angular lines
that support this 'edgy' story.  I like the way some of the text are in speech bubbles and some of the actions words have become part of the page design.

Repetition and rhyme is used to good effect, something a lot of picture books include as it allows the child to anticipate the story and join in with certain words and phrases. This allows aids with the reading, making it an easy to read-aloud book.

The plus with this picture book is that there is a colouring book that compliments it. Some of the words are also missing, so the child can fill in for themselves. Something as a teacher I'm all for as it adds another dimension to the reading experience and supports a child's small motor and word recognition skills.

Reviewer - Lynne Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment